역사 팟캐스트

로버트 H McCurdy SP-3157 - 역사

로버트 H McCurdy SP-3157 - 역사


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

로버트 H. 맥커디

(SP-3157: t. 735, 1. 178', b. 37'2", dr. 12'1", cpl. 32)

1903년 Cobb, Butler & Co., Rockland, Maine에서 제작한 목재 스쿠너인 Robert H. McCurdy(SP-3157)는 해군이 WS Job Co.에서 구입하여 7월 25일 버지니아주 Norfolk에서 인수했습니다. 1918. 같은 날, USNRF의 O. Fernstron 중위가 사령관으로 임명되어 Robert H. McCurdy는 8월 중순까지 Norfolk 지역에 머물렀다가 델라웨어의 Lewes로 이동했습니다. 8사단, 잠수함 부대로 이동했지만, 월말까지 뉴저지주 Coll Springs Inlet에서 임무를 수행했습니다. .

그 후 스쿠너는 콜드 스프링스 인렛으로 돌아와 비활성화를 위해 1919년 1월 말 필라델피아로 견인될 때까지 머물렀습니다. 29일 도착한 Robert H. McCurdy는 2월 초 퇴역했으며 이후 해군 명단에서 제외되어 매각되었습니다.


HistoryLink.org

Horace Winslow("H. W.") McCurdy는 조선소, 교량 건설자, 시민 지도자, 워싱턴 태생이며 태평양 북서부의 해양 ​​연구 및 해양 수집을 가장 지속적으로 지지했습니다. 그의 회사인 Puget Sound Bridge and Dredging에서 건설한 구조물에는 Lake Washington Floating Bridge(1940)와 Hood Canal Bridge(1961)가 있습니다. 그는 제작비를 전액 부담했다. H. W. McCurdy 태평양 북서부의 해양 ​​역사 그리고 그 후속 볼륨 태평양 북서부의 H. W. McCurdy 해양 역사, 1966-1976. 그는 시애틀 역사 및 산업 박물관의 설립과 초기 개발의 주동자였습니다. 1964년 시애틀-킹 카운티 부동산 중개인 협회는 H. W. McCurdy를 첫 번째 시민으로 지명했습니다.

McCurdy's Port Townsend 가족

Horace Winslow McCurdy는 1899년 7월 30일 Port Townsend에서 그 도시의 가장 유명한 가족 중 한 사람의 아들로 태어났습니다. 그의 할아버지인 William August McCurdy Jr.(1833-1890)는 나무 껍질을 타고 Port Townsend에 도착했습니다. 프랭클린 아담스 배의 목수로 훈련을 받은 William McCurdy는 Port Townsend 개척자 F. W. Pettygrove의 사촌이었습니다. 포트 타운센드에 정착한 후 그는 북서부 해안 건설 선박을 여행했습니다. 그는 캘리포니아의 Mare Island Navy Yard에서 미국 정부를 위해 일한 후 Seabeck, Tacoma 및 Port Ludlow에 있는 조선소 Hiram Doncaster의 조선소에서 근무했습니다. 1868년에 그는 오리건 주 포틀랜드에 사는 17세의 요한나 에빙거(Johanna Ebinger, 1850-1880)와 결혼했습니다. 부부는 William McCurdy의 직업에 따라 이곳저곳을 옮겼지만 1871년에 그들은 Port Townsend로 돌아왔습니다. 목공 기술을 사용하여 William McCurdy는 집을 짓기 시작했고 Port Townsend Bay가 내려다보이는 절벽에 많은 빅토리아 시대 가옥을 지었습니다. 그들의 아들인 제임스 그리피스 맥커디(James Griffith McCurdy, 1872-1942), H. W.의 아버지가 그곳에서 태어났습니다. 가족은 포트 타운센드 제일장로교회에서 활동했습니다.

James McCurdy는 바다를 사랑했지만 소아마비에 걸렸을 가능성이 가장 높은 어린 시절 때문에 해양 경력을 추구할 수 없었습니다. 대신 그는 심부름 소년에서 사장까지 포트 타운센드 국립 은행의 사다리를 올라갔습니다. 말년에 James G. McCurdy는 다음과 같이 썼습니다. Juan de Fuca의 해협 옆, 포트 타운센드와 주변 지역의 역사. 그는 또한 그의 사후에 출판된 미완성 원고를 썼다. Neah Bay의 인디언 데이즈. 이 책은 William McCurdy의 건축 작업으로 가족이 거주했던 700 Makah와 가까운 Neah Bay에 거주하게 된 동안 James McCurdy의 소년 시절의 몇 년을 연대기합니다. 이 책에는 젊은 McCurdy가 찍은 그 부족의 놀랍도록 가슴 아픈 사진이 유리판 네거티브에 인쇄되어 있습니다.

바다의 어린 시절

1893년 James McCurdy는 덴마크 이민자인 Anna Tobena Laursen(1875-1962)과 결혼했습니다. 부부는 포트 타운센드에 닻을 내린 많은 선장들(아내와 동반하는 경우가 많았고, 그 중 다수는 Anna McCurdy가 덴마크에서 알고 있음)에게 집을 개방했습니다. 그들의 아들 Horace Winslow(별명 "Mac")는 바다에서의 모험 이야기를 듣고, 소금기 있는 공기의 냄새를 맡으며, Juan de Fuca 해협의 해양 교통을 지켜보며 자랐습니다. McCurdy는 "나의 가장 이른 기억은"라고 회상했습니다. 나의 아버지는 나를 깨우고 새벽에 현관으로 나를 데리고 나가서 장비가 완비된 배를 보고 모든 돛은 설정되어 있고 이른 아침 서쪽으로 당기며 예인선의 도움 없이 우리 만으로 항해하고 있습니다."(McCurdy with Newell, 1권, p.14).

McCurdy는 Port Townsend 학교에 다녔고 여가 시간에는 삼촌 중 한 명인 William McCurdy(1868-1911)를 도왔습니다. William McCurdy는 Madison Street Marine Ways라는 지역 조선소를 소유했습니다. 이 회사는 주로 Mosquito Fleet라고 하는 소형 선박을 건조했습니다. 이 선박은 당시 퓨젯 사운드 지역의 가장 일반적인 도로였던 해상 수로에서 항구에서 항구로 승객을 실어 나르는 경량 선박입니다. McCurdy는 어린 시절부터 삼촌을 위해 청소, 페인팅, 코킹, 그리고 결국 손으로 배를 만드는 일을 했습니다. 가게의 유일한 전동 공구는 작은 휘발유 동력 띠톱이었습니다.

William McCurdy는 1911년 43세의 나이로 갑자기 사망했습니다. Mac McCurdy는 11세였습니다. 그는 도시 주변에서 잡일을 했습니다. 신문을 나르고 잔디를 깎고 Port Townsend Public Library와 First Presbyterian Church에서 청소 일을 했습니다. 그는 또한 일요일 예배 중에 오르간을 펌프질하는 데 대한 급여를 받았습니다. 그러나 그는 바다와 관련된 일을 하는 것을 놓쳤습니다. 14세 때 McCurdy와 그의 좋은 친구 Wilfred Easterbrook은 지역 사업가인 Fred Bailey를 설득하여 Bailey의 파일 드라이버 작업에 그들을 고용하도록 했습니다. 작업은 종종 고단했지만 McCurdy에게는 신나는 일이기도 했습니다. McCurdy는 대학을 졸업할 때까지 방학 동안 Bailey에서 일했습니다. 단, 제1차 세계 대전 중 미해군에서 복무했습니다.

McCurdy의 중요한 초기 영향 중 하나는 조선소 Robert Moran(1857-1943)이었습니다. Moran은 Mac McCurdy가 그를 알았을 때 조선에서 은퇴했지만 Moran Brothers Company의 영광스러운 시절에 대한 그의 이야기는 설득력이 있었을 것입니다. McCurdy는 나중에 이렇게 회상했습니다. “어린 시절 우정에 대한 가장 생생한 기억은 Robert Moran과의 관계였습니다. 1급 전함 건조에 대한 그의 설명에 매료되었습니다. 네브래스카, 그리고 관련된 문제들, 그리고 나는 언젠가 나도 좋은 배를 만들겠다고 결심했습니다.”(시애틀 타임즈, 1952년 4월 13일).

학교를 마치고 사랑을 찾아서

1912년 McCurdy는 Lincoln Grammar School을 마쳤고 1915년에는 Port Townsend High School을 인사로 졸업했습니다. 16세에 그는 워싱턴 대학교에 등록하여 선원을 조정했습니다. 1학년 때 집으로 돌아가는 추수감사절 휴가 동안 그는 포트 워든(Fort Worden)에서 경찰관의 태피 풀(taffy pull)에서 16세 사라 캐서린 맥마누스(Sarah Catherine McManus, 1900-1992)를 만났습니다. 캐서린의 아버지 George H. McManus(1867-1954)는 요새에 새로 부임한 대령(나중에 준장)이었습니다. McCurdy는 나중에 적어도 그에게 첫눈에 반한 만남을 기억했습니다. 그는 여름 방학 동안 여전히 Fred Bailey의 말뚝 박는 일을 하고 있는 Catherine에게 구애를 했습니다.

McCurdy는 1916년 가을에 University of Washington으로 돌아왔습니다. 캠퍼스의 모든 관심은 유럽 전쟁에 집중되었습니다. 학업에 집중할 수 없었던 McCurdy는 (당시 다른 많은 젊은이들과 마찬가지로) 1917년 4월 해군 자원 봉사를 위해 워싱턴 대학교를 떠났습니다.

맥커디의 위대한 전쟁

그의 첫 번째 임무는 미국이었다. 아네모네 Portage Bay에 있는 University of Washington 캠퍼스를 지키고 있습니다. McCurdy는 자신이 상하이에 있다고 생각했습니다. 프랑스는 그가 가장 원하는 곳이었습니다. 결국 그는 Brooklyn Navy Yard에 배정되었고 그곳에서 헨리 R. 말로리. NS 말로리, 수송선은 수많은 대서양 횡단을 하고 어뢰와 독일 U-보트를 피했습니다.

전쟁이 끝난 후 McCurdy는 잠시 시애틀(Catherine이 워싱턴 대학교 학생이었던 곳)과 포트 타운센드로 돌아온 후 매사추세츠 공과 대학(MIT)에 입학했습니다. 친구들과 함께 그는 학교의 첫 번째 크루 팀을 만들었습니다. Catherine은 New England Conservatory of Music으로 옮겼지만 McCurdy에게 그가 학사 학위를 마칠 때까지 그와 결혼하지 않을 것이라고 말했습니다. 두 사람은 1922년 6월 3일에 매커디가 MIT에서 학사 학위를 받고 졸업한 오후에 결혼했습니다. 공학에서. 결혼은 비밀로 하고 5개월 후인 1922년 10월 16일에 정식 예식이 거행되었습니다.

Puget Sound Bridge 및 준설 회사

McCurdy는 즉시 Puget Sound Bridge and Dredging Company에서 일자리를 찾았습니다. 그의 첫 번째 게시물은 텍사스 메이벨(Maybelle)에서 회사가 준설 방법을 사용하여 수압 충전 댐을 건설하고 있었습니다. 텍사스 기후 McCurdy는 "지옥처럼 썩었다"고 묘사했습니다(McCurdy with Newell, Vol. I, p. 81). 메이벨에서 117도의 온도는 드문 일이 아니었습니다.

1923년 4월 McCurdy는 시애틀에 있는 본사로 이전되었고 그와 Catherine은 McCurdy가 첫 번째 집으로 지은 견고한 목조 판잣집을 떠났습니다. 그들의 아들 James G. McCurdy II는 1923년 9월에 태어났습니다. 한 달 후 젊은 가족은 Raymond로 이사했고 McCurdy가 준설 작업을 관리하면서 워싱턴 주변의 일련의 작은 마을로 이사했습니다. 1927년 McCurdy는 전체 준설 부서의 관리자가 되었고 가족은 시애틀에 영구적인 집을 마련했습니다. 그들의 둘째 아들인 Thomas Winslow(1928-1955)는 그 직후에 태어났습니다. 아버지의 조언에 따라 McCurdy는 즉시 시애틀 상공회의소에 합류했습니다.

McCurdy는 1929년에 Puget Sound Bridge and Dredging의 부사장 겸 총지배인이 되었고, 1931년에 사장 겸 총책임자가 되었습니다. 1937년 봄에 그는 심한 신경 피로 진단을 받고 1년의 휴식을 처방받았습니다. 포트 타운센드에 조부모와 함께 아들을 두고 맥커디와 캐서린은 타히티로 항해했습니다.

회복 후 McCurdy는 즐거움과 휴식을 위해 북서쪽 바다를 항해하는 데 더 많은 시간을 할애했습니다. 가족 보트, 모비딕, 가족 활동의 중심이되었습니다. 1941년 12월, 모비딕 군복무로 전환되었습니다. 나중에 가족이 배를 타고 블루 피터, 96피트 요트. McCurdy는 1941년에 시애틀 요트 클럽의 제독이었습니다.

교량 건설

1939년에 Puget Sound Bridge and Dredging Company는 Parker-Schram, Jack Pomeroy 및 Clyde Wood와 공동으로 Lake Washington Floating Bridge를 건설했습니다. 시애틀과 머서 아일랜드를 연결하는 6,000피트 높이의 콘크리트 다리는 당시 세계에서 가장 큰 수상 구조물이었습니다. 널리 알려진 Lake Washington Floating Bridge는 상품의 신속한 운송을 용이하게 했기 때문에 Puget Sound 지역의 제2차 세계 대전 전쟁에 필수적이었습니다. 이 회사는 다른 많은 프로젝트 중에서 BC주 밴쿠버에 있는 Hood Canal Bridge와 Granville Street Bridge에서도 작업했습니다.

제2차 세계 대전 중에 Puget Sound Bridge and Dredging Company는 전쟁 노력에 필수적이었습니다. 이 회사는 Associated Shipbuilders의 절반 소유주였으며 수백만 달러 상당의 조선 정부 계약을 받았습니다. Harbour Island 건설 시설(원래는 Lake Washington Floating Bridge의 사전 건설에 사용됨)은 100척의 강철 전함을 포함하여 2,000척 이상의 선박을 수리하고 진수하는 데 사용되었습니다. 이 회사는 또한 알래스카에 3개의 해군 기지(시트카, 코디악, 더치 하버)를 건설했습니다.

전쟁 후 회사는 배를 건조했습니다(McCurdy의 말에 따르면). “워싱턴 주립 페리 함대의 대형 디젤 전기 에버그린 주립급 페리에서 알래스카 주립 시스템의 원양 페리 라이너와 블랙 볼 트랜스포트(Black Ball Transport)에서 유도 미사일 구축함에 이르기까지 , 호위함 및 특별히 설계된 로켓 선박, 유명한 병원선의 개조 및 개조 희망 그리고 아메리칸 프레지덴셜 라이너 루즈벨트 대통령, 거대한 물류 지원 선박, 석유 시추 장비 및 세계 최초의 대형 해군 수중익선”(McCurdy with Newell, Vol. I, p.162).

가족 비극

McCurdy와 Catherine의 작은 아들 Tom은 한국 전쟁 중 해군 장교로 현역 복무 중 병으로 1955년에 사망했습니다. 그는 26세였습니다. McCurdy는 이렇게 회상했습니다. “우리와 Jim과 그의 가족의 삶에 영향을 미친 큰 비극은 우리 아들 Tom을 잃은 것입니다. 우리 모두의 삶의 변화는 그의 죽음으로 인해 발생했습니다.”(McCurdy with Newell, Vol. II, p. 123). Tom은 Port Townsend Bay가 내려다보이는 Port Townsend의 Laurel Grove Cemetery에 묻혔습니다.

McCurdy는 아들에게 경의를 표하기 위해 자신이 탑승한 모든 배를 위한 의식을 제정했습니다. Port Townsend에서 떨어진 지점. 그곳에서 맥커디가 제작한 군함도 시운전에서 30노트 이상 속도를 줄이고 속도를 낮추고 인근 곶으로 진입하는 반면, '맥'은 호루라기를 세 차례 세 번 분다.시애틀 타임즈, 1963년 11월 11일).

McCurdy 가족은 또한 아들을 기리기 위해 워싱턴 대학교에 Thomas W. McCurdy Memorial Scholarship Fund를 설립했습니다. 1977년 이 엔다우먼트는 워싱턴 대학교 운동부로 이전되었습니다. “Thomas W. McCurdy의 이름을 딴 보트 하우스에는 항상 현대적인 쉘이 있어야 한다는 요구 사항이 있습니다. 기금은 조정 스튜어드 위원회에서 지출하고 장비, 여행 또는 승무원의 이익을 위해 사용됩니다.”(McCurdy with Newell, Vol. II, p. 95). 역사 산업 박물관의 토마스 맥커디 갤러리(Thomas McCurdy Gallery)도 톰 맥커디를 기리는 곳입니다.

수상 및 추가 성과

1958년 역사 산업 박물관과 Puget Sound Maritime Historical Society는 시애틀 시 공원 및 레크리에이션 부서에 박물관이 위치한 도시 공원의 이름을 H. W. McCurdy Park로 지정하도록 청원했습니다. 도시는 그렇게 하기로 동의했으며 이름은 McCurdy와 박물관에 대한 오랜 관계와 헌신을 기념합니다. 박물관의 H. W. McCurdy Maritime Collection에는 McCurdy의 개인 컬렉션에서 가져온 유물, 사진 및 그림이 포함되어 있습니다. McCurdy는 1950년대 초에 해양 물품을 기부하기 시작했으며 평생 동안 계속 기부했습니다. McCurdy가 기증한 유물은 박물관 해양 컬렉션의 대부분을 차지합니다.

1959년 McCurdy는 Puget Sound Bridge와 Dry Dock을 Lockheed Aircraft Corporation에 매각하기로 어려운 결정을 내렸습니다. 록히드는 McCurdy의 아들 James를 대통령으로 임명했습니다. McCurdy는 이사회 의장이 되었고 록히드 이사회에도 합류했습니다. Puget Sound Dredging은 매각 당시 분사되어 McCurdy 가족의 통제하에 있었습니다.

H. W. McCurdy는 1963년 이사회 의장직에서 은퇴하여 회사와의 42년 간의 관계를 끝냈습니다. 당시 그는 이렇게 회상했다. "여기에 온 지 오래다. ... 시애틀 해안가와 꽤 가까워서 많은 변화를 봤다. 이번 [은퇴]는 나에게 꽤 감동적인 일이다." (시애틀 타임즈, 1963년 11월 11일).

1964년 12월 시애틀-킹 카운티 부동산 중개인 협회는 Horace W. McCurdy를 26번째 연례 First Citizen Award 수상자로 선정했습니다. First Citizen Award는 지역 사회에 대한 모범적인 헌신과 의무를 넘어선 창의적인 리더십을 보여준 시애틀 시민 지도자에게 수여됩니다. McCurdy는 1965년 1월 19일 올림픽 호텔에서 열린 시상식에서 상을 받았습니다. McCurdy는 상을 받으면서 “어린 시절부터 시애틀은 꿈의 도시였습니다. 시애틀의 첫 번째 시민으로 지정되는 것은 우리에게 두 배로 감미롭습니다. 왜냐하면 저는 캐서린과 저를 대신하여 그 영예를 받아들이기 때문입니다.”(McCurdy with Newell, Vol. II, p. 195)

역사 만들기

1960년대 중반에 Horace McCurdy는 태평양 북서부의 최신 해양 역사를 작성하기 위해 Seattle Historical Society 프로젝트에 자금을 지원했습니다. 이때까지 이 지역의 표준 해양 역사는 E. W. Wright의 1895년이었습니다. 루이스와 드라이든의 태평양 북서부의 해양사. 어린 시절 McCurdy는 이 책에 대한 아버지의 책을 쏟아 부었고 북서부의 해양 ​​역사에 대한 지속적인 관심을 발전시켰습니다. McCurdy의 보조금은 1966년 현재 해양 역사를 최신으로 만든 보충 책을 준비하는 데 사용되었습니다. 이 책은 The H. W. McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest라고 불렸습니다.

Horace McCurdy가 후원한 추가 책이 1977년에 출판되었습니다. 이 책은 Gordon Newell이 집필했으며 17명의 북서부 해양 전문가 패널이 심사했습니다. 이 책의 판매 수익은 박물관에 도움이되었습니다. McCurdy는 역사 산업 박물관에 너무 관대했습니다. 시애틀 타임즈 그를 조직의 수호성인이라고 불렀다(1985년 4월 19일).

McCurdy의 시민 참여는 광범위했습니다. 그는 1959년부터 1970년까지 Lockheed Aircraft의 이사였으며 또한 Pacific National Bank와 First Interstate Bank의 이사를 역임했습니다. 개척자 협회의 정회원인 McCurdy는 1957년부터 1959년까지 시애틀 역사학회 회장을 역임했습니다. 그는 역사 ​​및 산업 박물관의 오랜 이사였습니다. 그는 Rainier Club의 회원이었고 1949년에 회장을 역임했습니다.

그의 많은 영예와 상 중에는 1955년 올해의 해양인, 1959년 올해의 토목 엔지니어, 1964년 워싱턴 대학 동문 Summa Laude Dignatus가 있습니다. 이 상에는 참석했지만 졸업하지 않은 최초의 수상자였습니다. 그는 또한 메이슨이자 프리메이슨 그랜드 코트 십자훈장을 받았습니다. NS 시애틀 포스트 인텔리전서 이 마지막 영예를 설명했습니다. “Masonry의 장식을 해석하기 위해 McCurdy는 이제 이 Grand Court Cross of Honor의 5명의 살아있는 구성원 중 한 명입니다. 선거는 질서와 대중에 대한 봉사를 기반으로 합니다. 이전에 Grand Cross Court of Honor로 선출된 마지막 두 사람은 J. Edgar Hoover와 전 재무장관 Robert B. Anderson이었습니다.”(1967년 10월 8일).

Horace McCurdy는 1989년 11월 13일 시애틀에서 사망했습니다. 그는 생애의 마지막 몇 년을 거의 전적으로 가족과 노스웨스트 해양 역사 연구 및 자금 조달에 바쳤습니다. 그의 후원을 통해 영국 피터샴에 있는 선원 조지 밴쿠버와 영국 울리에 있는 피터 퓨젯(배스 교외)의 무덤이 복원되었고 이 선원들의 업적을 기리는 명판이 새겨져 있습니다.

소금물 가까이에서 보낸 삶

말년에 McCurdy는 친구이자 전기 작가인 Gordon Newell에게 이렇게 말했습니다. 나는 모든 유형의 선박을 건조, 수리, 운영, 폐기 및 소유했으며 Conrad의 말을 확신하고 반복합니다. -- 사실이다”(McCurdy with Newell, Vol. II, p. 127). McCurdy는 시애틀의 First Presbyterian Church와 Scottish Rite Temple에서 추모되었으며, Port Townsend의 Laurel Grove Cemetery에 안장되었습니다.

같이 시애틀 타임즈 칼럼니스트 Emmett Watson은 Mac McCurdy를 기억했습니다. “그는 전형적인 선구자였습니다. 그는 노동자로 시작했으며 은퇴하기 전에 알래스카에 많은 다리, 세 척의 페리, 800마일 길이의 원격 조기 경보 레이더 라인을 건설했습니다. 그는 제2차 세계 대전 중에 공군 기지를 건설했습니다. 그는 100척 이상의 배를 건조했으며 그의 건물과 댐은 여전히 ​​전 세계에서 볼 수 있습니다. 그는 시애틀 해안가의 전설이 된 해양 역사가였지만 아마도 내가 McCurdy에 대해 들은 최고의 이야기는 북서부 역사가인 Gordon Newell의 말일 것입니다. 뉴웰은 '그는 독립 기업가의 마지막 유형이었습니다. '거짓말, 속임수, 도둑질 없이 정상에 올랐습니다. 그의 악수는 변호사가 준비한 10페이지 분량의 계약서만큼 좋았다”(시애틀 타임즈, 1989년 11월 21일).

2004년 2월 McCurdy 가족은 H. W. McCurdy Maritime Resource Library에 자금을 지원하기 위해 Port Townsend의 Northwest Maritime Center에 150,000달러를 기부했습니다. Northwest Maritime Center의 재산은 McCurdy의 삼촌의 조선소가 있던 해안가에 인접한 Port Townsend Bay에 있습니다.

시애틀-킹 카운티 부동산 중개인 협회
펨코 보험
제임스 맥커디

호레이스 W. 맥커디(1899-1989)

사진 제공: Marsha & Michael Burns

요트를 모델로 한 Horace McCurdy(1899-1989) 블루 피터, 약 1967년


  1. ^ 에 따르면 미국 해군 전투함 사전 http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/r7/robert_h_mccurdy_.htm 및 NavSource Online: Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive Robert H. McCurdy(SP 3157), 로버트 H. 맥커디 해군 해군 역사 및 유산 사령부 온라인 선택 이미지 라이브러리에 따라 섹션 순찰 번호 SP-3157이 있습니다. 미해군 함선: USS 로버트 H. 맥커디 (ID # 3157), 1918-1919 원래 민간 스쿠너 로버트 H. 맥커디 (1903), 그녀는 해군 등록 식별 번호 3157(ID-3157)을 가지고 있었습니다.
  • Beyer, Edward F. & Beyer, Kenneth M. (1991). "유. S. 해군 미스터리 선박". 워쉽 인터내셔널. 국제해군연구기구. XXVIII (4): 322�. ISSN�-0374.

이 기사는 공개 도메인의 텍스트를 포함합니다. 미국 해군 전투함 사전. 항목은 여기에서 찾을 수 있습니다.


یواس‌اس رابرت اچ مک‌کوردی (اس‌پی-۳۱۵۷)

یواس‌اس رابرت اچ مک‌کوردی (اس‌پی-۳۱۵۷) (به انگلیسی: USS Robert H. McCurdy (SP-3157) ) یک کشتی بود که طول آن ۱۷۸ فوت (۵۴ متر) بود. این کشتی در سال ۱۹۰۳ ساخته شد.

یواس‌اس رابرت اچ مک‌کوردی (اس‌پی-۳۱۵۷)
پیشینه
مالک
تکمیل ساخت: ۲ سپتامبر ۱۹۰۳
به دست آورده شده: ۲۵ ژوئیه ۱۹۱۸
참고: ۲۵ ژوئیه ۱۹۱۸
مشخصات اصلی
گنجایش: 총 735톤
درازا: ۱۷۸ فوت (۵۴ متر)
پهنا: ۳۷ فوت ۲ اینچ (۱۱٫۳۳ متر)
آبخور: ۱۲ فوت ۱ اینچ (۳٫۶۸ متر)

این یک مقالهٔ خرد کشتی یا قایق است. می‌توانید با گسترش آن به ویکی‌پدیا کمک کنید.


1917 McCurdy 호텔이 문을 엽니다.
1969 호텔이 파산하고 문을 닫는다.
1970 건물을 주거 및 요양 시설로 전환

McCurdy Hotel은 "도시의 확장 노력을 지원하는 고급 시설"로 개발되었습니다. 그것은 지역 산업가이자 투자자인 Col. William H McCurdy의 이름을 따서 명명되었습니다. 기존 부지에 노후된 세인트 조지 호텔은 1915년에 철거되어 이 멋진 호텔을 지었습니다. H Ziegler Dietz가 디자인한 U자형 8층 건물은 최상층에 웅장한 Rose Room이 있습니다. 호텔은 1917년 6월 17일에 개업했습니다.

전성기 동안 McCurdy는 Van Orman 호텔로 운영되었습니다. Courier & Press의 기록 보관소에 따르면 Katharine Hepburn, Clark Gable, Joseph McCarthy 상원의원, Richard Nixon 등 몇몇 저명한 손님이 McCurdy에 머물렀습니다.

호텔의 사업은 1960년대 후반에 줄어들었고 McCurdy는 파산했습니다. 호텔은 1969년 3월 16일에 문을 닫았습니다.

지역 사업가인 로버트 E 그린이 호텔을 사들여 재개장했다. 그러나 1970년 10월까지 Green은 건물을 Medco Corp에 매각했으며 Medco는 이 건물을 호텔에서 주거 시설 및 은퇴 주택으로 바꾸겠다는 의사를 밝혔습니다.

1989년에 다시 매각되어 McCurdy Healthcare Center가 되었습니다.

2006년 6월 McCurdy는 Riverwalk Communities로 이름을 변경하고 고객 중심을 변경했습니다. 몇 차례의 위반 및 보건 위원회로부터의 인용 후. 시설 운영 중단에 동의했습니다.


로버트 H 맥커디 SP-3157 - 역사

윌리엄 하비 맥커디(William Harvey McCurdy, 1853-1930)는 1853년 5월 28일 펜실베니아 주 센터 타운십에서 펜실베니아주 그린 카운티에 작은 농장을 소유한 조셉과 시드니 맥커디 부부 사이에서 태어났습니다. 가족은 1866년 미시간주 세인트루이스로 이사했고 그의 아버지는 뛰어난 목수였기 때문에 윌리엄은 미시간주 잭슨에서 목공의 견습생이 되었고 필요한 4년 후에 장인이 되었습니다. 그는 모험에 대한 갈증이 그를 여행하는 세일즈맨으로 횡단하는 여행을 하게 된 1875년까지 그 직업을 유지했습니다. 1879년 언젠가 그는 캔자스시티 부동산 붐이 일어나기 직전에 미주리주 인디펜던스에 도착하여 부동산 중개인과 보험 판매원으로 일하기로 결심하고 캔자스시티 시내의 15 W 9th St.에 사무실을 설립했습니다. 그는 1880년 6월 25일 오하이오 주 신시내티에서 전 헬렌 엘리자 헤스와 결혼하여 4명의 자녀를 낳았습니다.

McCurdy와 그의 성장하는 가족(1893년에 태어난 다섯 번째 자녀, Lynn - 그의 첫째 아들)은 1889년에 신시내티로 이주하여 유명한 오하이오 건설업체인 Favorite Buggy Company의 비서가 되었습니다. Favorite에 있는 동안 McCurdy는 Chicago의 Sears, Roebuck & Co에 남성 의류를 공급하는 주요 공급업체인 Rosenwald and Weil의 책임자인 Julius Rosenwald와 알게 되었습니다.

1894년 Rosenwald는 Brighton Buggy Co.를 설립하기 위해 McCurdy에게 자금을 지원했으며 McCurdy와 Sears-Roebuck & Co 간의 거래를 중개했습니다. 1년 후 Rosenwald와 그의 처남 Aaron Nussbaum은 Roebuck의 절반을 사들였습니다. Sears, Roebuck $75,000. 당연하게도 현재 시카고 회사의 농장 마차 및 버기 공급업체 중 하나인 Brighton Buggy Co의 사업이 개선되었습니다.

1900년까지 Brighton의 Cincinnati 시설은 Sears 계정을 처리하기에는 너무 작아서 McCurdy는 성장하는 버기 사업을 위한 다른 사이트를 찾았습니다. 위치가 좋은 인디애나 주 에반스빌의 새로운 공장은 시카고에서 북쪽으로 가는 직통 노선이 있는 Morton St와 Southern Railroad와 접한 부지에 세워진 그의 새 공장으로 선택되었습니다. 이 공장은 오하이오 강에서 1마일도 채 되지 않는 곳에 위치하여 새로운 3층 32,000제곱피트의 Hercules 공장에 목재를 안정적으로 공급하고 미시시피 강을 따라 도시로 향하는 바지선에 직접 접근할 수 있게 되었습니다. 건물은 곧 완공되었고 McCurdy는 1902년 전체 작업을 Evansville로 옮기고 Hercules Buggy Co.라고 이름을 지었습니다. Brighton Buggy의 공장 관리자인 Harry Wessling과 마찬가지로 40명이 넘는 숙련된 직공과 수레 기사가 McCurdy를 따라 Evansville로 왔습니다.

Rosenwald가 Sears의 부사장 겸 재무를 맡은 하에 Roebuck & Co의 연간 매출은 1895년 750,000달러에서 1907년 5천만 달러 이상으로 증가했습니다. Sears는 1906년에 상장되었고 대주주 중 한 명이 되면서 Rosenwald는 하룻밤 사이에 백만장자가 되었습니다. William McCurdy는 또한 시카고 소매업체에 투자했으며 Evansville에 도착했을 때 Old State National Bank의 이사로 선출되었으며 나중에 Evansville의 American Trust and Savings Bank 조직을 도왔습니다.

Rosenwald는 말이 없는 마차의 인기를 예견했고 1905년 McCurdy에게 별도의 회사인 Hercules Body Co.를 만들어 그들을 위한 차체를 만들도록 설득했습니다. 20세기 초반에는 거대한 건물로 식별할 수 있는 복합 발전소의 바로 동쪽에 지어진 Hercules Wheel Co.가 포함된 확장되는 Mason St. 복합 단지를 잘 볼 수 있는 엽서가 발행되었습니다. 굴뚝. 원래의 Hercules Buggy 건물(3층 90 x 670 )의 북쪽에는 Hercules Surrey and Wagon Co가 있었는데 이곳에서 회사의 더 큰 농장 마차와 마차가 제조되었습니다. Surrey & Wagon Co 건물 옆에는 부품이 보관되고 완성된 차량이 고객에게 배송되는 Hercules Warehouse Co가 있었습니다. 가장 동쪽에 있는 Hercules Body Co.(3층 125×710 ) 건물에서 회사의 전설적인 트럭 차체와 우디 왜건이 대부분 제조되었습니다. 그 옆에 붙어 있는 긴 단층 구조는 Hercules Paint Co. 근처에 회사의 거대한 가마와 건조 건물이 위치한 바쁜 목재 야드였습니다.

Hercules의 원래 건물 중 많은 부분이 남아 있으며 E Franklin St의 남쪽과 E. Division 북쪽에 있는 North Morton Ave.(이전 Morton St.)와 N. Kentucky Ave. 사이에 위치한 현재 Morton Ave. Warehouse를 구성하고 있습니다. 성.

건강 악화로 인해 Richard Sears는 Sears에서 은퇴하고 1908년 Roebuck의 사장과 Rosenwald가 회사의 경영권을 인수했습니다. 시카고 소매업체는 자동차 열풍에 돈을 벌기를 열망했고 오하이오주 발명가인 Alvaro S. Krotz에게 접근하여 Krotz가 1904-1905년에 자신의 이름으로 전기 자동차를 제조한 자동차를 설계하고 생산했습니다. 초기 Sears Motor Buggies는 Hercules Buggy 공장 내부에 건설되었지만 Harrison과 Loomis의 모퉁이에 새로운 Sears Motor Car Works 공장이 마침내 완공된 1909년 후반에 생산을 시카고로 옮겼습니다. 그 시점부터 1912년 차량이 사망할 때까지 에반스빌에서는 Sears 자동차의 차체만 제작되었습니다.

1908년 McCurdy는 Hercules가 만든 최초의 승용차인 Evansville & Ohio Valley Railway Co.라는 도시 간 철도를 형성했습니다. McCurdy는 지역 교통에 큰 중점을 두었고 Evansville의 첫 번째 노면 전차 시스템 구축을 도왔고 Evansville & Eastern Railway/Evansville Railway Co.의 사장으로 일했습니다. 그의 화물 및 도시 간 시스템은 결국 분빌, 포트 브랜치 및 마운트 버논에 서비스를 제공했습니다 , 인디애나 뿐만 아니라 Owensboro 및 Henderson Kentucky.

1912년에 McCurdy는 William Triplett, Sears, Roebuck & Co의 가스 엔진 및 버기 구매자가 사업 제안서를 들고 접근했습니다. Sears가 통제하는 회사인 미시간주 스파르타의 Holm Machine and Mfg Co.는 현재 대부분의 고정식 가스 엔진을 소매 대기업에 공급했지만 수요가 소규모 공장의 용량을 훨씬 초과했습니다. Triplett은 McCurdy에게 Sears, Roebuck에게 필요한 엔진을 공급하기 위해 Evansville에 엔진 공장을 건설할 것을 제안하고 기업 자금 조달을 돕겠다고 제안했습니다.

결과적으로, Hercules Gas Engine Co.가 1912년 11월 8일에 설립되었습니다. 기존 Hercules 단지에 인접하여 건설된 현대적인 유리벽 공장에서 건설이 시작되었으며 1914년 초에 이 시설에서 최초의 엔진이 출시되었습니다. Hercules는 다음을 위한 엔진을 생산했습니다. Ajax, Arco, Atlas, Champion, Economy, Erren, Hercules, Jaeger, Keystone, Reeco, Rohaco, Thermoil 및 Williams 브랜드 이름으로 판매되는 소매업체 수. 비즈니스는 1918년에 하루에 150톤의 용탕을 처리할 수 있는 새로운 큐폴라가 건설될 정도로 성장했습니다. 1914년부터 1934년 공장이 폐쇄될 때까지 400,000개 이상의 Hercules 제작 가솔린 엔진이 Evansville에서 생산되었습니다.

두 번째 헤라클레스 - 오하이오주 캔톤에 소재한 Hercules Motors Corp.는 이 기사의 주제보다 더 잘 알려져 있습니다. Hercules Motors는 트럭용 고속, 경량, 대형 가솔린 엔진에 대한 수요에 대한 응답으로 1915년 광저우에서 설립되었으며, 결국 미국 및 많은 외국. 그것은 헤라클레스라는 이름의 세 명의 알려진 엔진 제작자 중 마지막으로 살아남았으며 1999년에 문을 닫았습니다.

세 번째 Hercules - 캘리포니아 샌프란시스코의 Hercules Gas Engine Co. 회사는 1890년대 초에 조직되었으며 관련이 없습니다. 캘리포니아 회사는 Hercules, Improved Hercules & New Hercules 상표로 엔진을 판매했으며 Palmer & Ray 고정식 엔진도 제조했습니다. 이 회사는 1907년 Peerless Motor Co.에 인수되었습니다.

미국은 아직 제1차 세계 대전에 참전하지 않았지만 분쟁으로 인해 미국 농부들에게 새로운 시장이 생겨났고, 생산성을 돕기 위해 견인 엔진에 점점 더 의존하게 되었습니다.

Hercules developed a 3-wheeled farm tractor in 1915 that differed from the competitions in that it was propelled by a single rear wheel steered by two small wheels at the front. The operator sat alongside the engine which was covered by a shroud that flowed into a large fender over the driven rear wheel.

The prototype attracted the attention of Ray Graham, the youngest of the famous Graham Brothers who at that time ran a successful bottle-making factory in Evansville. This was a few years before they began selling kits to turn stock Model T s into trucks. Graham appeared with the prototype at various regional fairs and helped bring in some of the 2000 orders received for the tractor, however the project was soon abandoned and no production Hercules tractors were built despite the glowing accounts of the tractor's future that appeared in the local newspapers.

During 1915 Hercules engine production exceeded 100 units per day. The Hercules Body division was producing about 200 bodies per day and the Hercules Buggy continued to be popular with daily shipment of over 300 units.

Within 5 years of its introduction, Hercules foundry could no longer keep up with the demand for their 1 , 3, 6 and 8 hp gas engines and a new one was constructed in 1918, allowing the firm to keep up with orders from Sears and other retail distributors.

The popular engines were shipped all around the world as evidenced by existing Hercules literature that was printed in French and Spanish. A small 1 hp engine was developed with a cylinder-hopper casting can be separated from the base so it could be broken down into a couple of crates weighing less than 50lbs. a piece, allowing Hercules to ship it to normally inaccessible places.

Although some very early Ford trucks were sold with commercial bodies, Ford discontinued the program in 1913 leaving the field wide open for enterprising commercial body builders through 1924 when the first factory-built Ford Model T pick-ups were introduced. Hercules Body Co developed a Model T slip-on body that first appeared in the early teens. When it was advertised in the 1915 Sears, Roebuck & Co. catalog the retail giant supplied so many orders that an additional building was built to help Hercules fulfill the orders. As Ford had yet to introduce the Model T pickup, the popular Hercules accessory allowed a roadster or turtleback runabout owner to convert their vehicle into a pickup truck in less than an hour. Through the end of the decade Hercules completed large orders of ambulance bodies for the US Army as well as regulation delivery van bodies for the US Post Office. A 1921 Hercules advertisement boasted that they were the largest builder of truck bodies in the world , with a staff of 7500 producing over 40,000 truck cabs and bodies per year.

With the European conflict increasingly on the minds of Americans, the government began to make plans for the likelihood of the US entering the conflict. McCurdy was appointed to President Woodrow Wilson s American Defense Society in 1916 and was made a Colonel in the Indiana Reserve by Governor Goodrich. From then on McCurdy would be referred to as Colonel McCurdy . During the same year construction began on the McCurdy Hotel at 101-111 SE First St. in downtown Evansville. McCurdy was a director of the Van Orman Hotel Operating Co. the firm that built the McCurdy Hotel and was headed by his friend F. Harold Van Orman. In addition to the Hotel McCurdy, the company built 5 other large hotels in the area the Hotel Shawnee in Springfield, Ohio, the Hotel Orlando in Decatur, Illinois, the Hotel Nelson in Rockford, Illinois, the Terre Haute House in Terre Haute, Indiana and the Van Orman Hotel in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. Evansville s 9-story 300-room Hotel McCurdy is currently a residential center for senior citizens and is listed on the Federal Register of Historic Buildings.

In 1918 Colonel McCurdy entered the emerging automotive electrics business with the purchase of another Evansville firm, the Schroeder Headlight Co., following the death of its founder, Adam Schroeder. In addition to its dynamo-powered railroad locomotive headlights and automotive lamps, the firm also manufactured a line of light plants (farm generators) marketed under the Farm-lite brand that were powered by Hercules gas engines.

McCurdy purchased the rights to an ice machine invented by two Detroit residents, Howard Dennedy and Karl Zimmerman. He brought the pair to Evansville to finalize its development and a small research department was set up inside the Schroeder plant. McCurdy renamed the firm the Schroeder Headlight and Refrigerator Co. to reflect their new direction. Sear, Roebuck was very interested in the product and numerous samples were dispatched to their Chicago laboratories.

On November 23rd, 1920, the half-dozen branches of Hercules - Hercules Buggy Co., Hercules Body Co., Hercules Engine Co., Hercules Paint Co., Hercules Surrey & Wagon Co., Hercules Warehouse Co. and Hercules Wheel Co. - were merged into a single concern, The Hercules Corporation. The firm was reorganized with a capital stock of eight million dollars with the officers as follows: William H. McCurdy - President, John D. Craft - First Vice-president and Manager, Lynn H. McCurdy - Second Vice-president, Treasurer and Manager of Sales, and Frank G. Cowan, Secretary.

During 1920, the 7500 employees of the various Hercules enterprises produced 84,000 buggies, surreys and wagons, 62,000 gasoline engines and 40,000 auto & truck bodies and cabs. An early 20s Hercules brochure included a list of the firm s principal products buggies, spring wagons, delivery wagons, business bodies for Fords, sawing outfits, farm generators, cream separators and gasoline, kerosene and oil engines.

Starting in the mid-teens Hercules Body Co. published an annual catalog advertising their Business Bodies for Fords . By the early twenties the catalog s 80 pages included detailed pictures and specifications of the multitude of cabs and truck bodies built by the firm. Although the looked similar to other manufacturer s products, Hercules closed cabs are distinguishable by their vertically split windscreen.

Hercules built a small quantity of production automobile bodies for Chevrolet during the twenties as evidenced by reference to them in the Jun 15, 1924 issue of the Indianapolis Star which stated, The Hercules Corporation has created a special division at its factory at Evansville, Ind., for the manufacture of Chevrolet bodies. It s likely that production bodies were built for other manufacturers as well, but little else is known about the program.

By 1922, the stillborn Hercules farm tractor had faded from memory and the Colonel allowed his son Lynn to develop an automobile which was to be called the McCurdy. A totally unrelated firm, the Hercules Motor Car Co., of New Albany, Indiana had built an assembled car called the Hercules from 1914 to 1915, creating much confusion with the public who assumed it was a product of the Evansville gas engine manufacturer. Consequently the new vehicle would not carry the Hercules moniker as McCurdy didn t want his automobile to be associated with the earlier vehicle which was a commercial failure.

At the 1920 Indianapolis Automobile Show, Lynn McCurdy was impressed by the Gale Four, a prototype exhibited by its designer Garde Gale. Unable to secure financing through normal channels, Gale approached McCurdy to see if he was interested in producing the vehicle and within the year the Evansville paper announced that Hercules would start producing the McCurdy Six starting in 1922. It was to be an assembled chassis of 127 with power supplied by a Continental six. Hercules would supply the bodywork and the cars marketing would be handled by the cars designer who was now on the Hercules payroll. A reported 7 chassis were assembled for testing but it was soon decided that Hercules was not ready for the automobile manufacturing business. Two chassis had been fitted with coachwork so to help the firm out, two Hercules executives - Harry Wessling and V.E. McCullen bought the completed vehicles for $2500 apiece and the whole affair was quickly forgotten.

When McCurdy reorganized his many holdings in 1920, Schroeder was reorganized as the Sunbeam Electric Mfg. Co. with his friend William A. Carson as Vice-president/ General Manager and himself President.

Howard Dennedy had designed the hermetically sealed rotary compressor that would become the nucleus of the modern refrigerator. Karl Zimmerman built the first prototypes and the pair soon perfected the device. Morris Trippett, Sears, Roebuck & Co. s buggy and automobile buyer was so enamored with the new device he resigned his position and formed the National Electric Products Co. in 1923 to help publicize and distribute it. He came up with the slogan Serve Electrically later shortening it to Serv-El, the brand name that the refrigerators were originally marketed under.

Due to dwindling sales, Hercules halted all buggy production later that year and the buggy factory was outfitted to produce insulated sheet metal housings for Hercules latest product. By 1924 McCurdy had the most successful ice machine on the market and signed a 10-year distribution contract with Trippett s firm which was now know as Serv-El Corp.

At the time Colonel McCurdy was suffering from declining health and in 1925 he sold a controlling interest in Hercules Corp. to Trippett s Serv-El Corp. which was consequently reorganized as the Servel Manufacturing Co. Serv-El purchased US rights to a propane-powered absorption refrigerator from the Swedish appliance giant AB Electrolux. Sales of the new Electrolux-Servel gas-refrigerator commenced in 1926, and within a year, Servel had cornered the market for the popular appliance.

Chase-Manhattan Bank became interested in Servel and purchased a substantial interest in the firm, providing them with the capital to move all of the firm s operations to Evansville. Before 1927, Servel s Evansville plant was devoted to manufacturing the refrigerator s insulated metal cabinets while a second factory in Newburgh, NY assembled them. By late 1929, Servel was Evansville s largest employer, employing over five thousand workers.

Colonel McCurdy spent the rest of his life as Evansville s premier philanthropist, quietly passing away on Jun 15, 1930 in San Diego, CA at the age of 77.

Chase-Manhattan made a substantial investment in Electrolux Servel during 1927, and in January 1928 Electrolux Servel firm was reorganized once again as Servel Inc. The former Hercules Body Co. and Hercules Gas engine Co. were combined into a single unit, Hercules Products Inc. which is sometimes referred to as Servel-Hercules. At this point the two branches became totally separate entities, no longer sharing any management, staff, facilities or financing.

Servel Inc. developed one of the first chiller units (freezers) in 1933, and continued their involvement in gas powered (propane) home appliances, introducing a the "All Year" residential gas air conditioning unit at the 1939 Worlds Fair which took place in New York. A Milestone was reached two years later when the 2,000,000th Servel refrigerator was produced. During the war they produced P-47 Thunderbolt wings that were shipped by rail to Republic Aviation's Farmingdale, N.Y., facility for final assembly. By 1946 Servel had returned to manufacturing its four core products: gas and kerosene refrigerators, gas water heaters, gas air conditioners and electric refrigerators. More than 4 million propane-powered refrigerators had rolled off the assembly line at Servel's Evansville refrigerator plant before it was sold to Goodwill Industries in 1956. One year later, Servel s remaining assets were acquired by the Arkansas Louisiana Gas Co. which renamed the division ArkLA-Servel.

In May 1991, Robur Group, an Italian Company founded in 1956, acquired the gas air conditioning division of Servel from ArkLA-Servel in order to acquire the firm s gas-fired absorption cooling technology and manufacturing facilities. The takeover also gave Robur a North American distribution network for their European gas-fired appliances. Today, Robur continues to carry on their history of providing their customers with state-of-the-art cooling and heating solutions.

Since the mid teens, Hercules Body Co. had been building wood-framed stake bodies, jitneys, express bodies, delivery vans and depot hacks for Ford Model T and TT chassis. The wooden bodies were easily adapted to other chassis and Hercules soon offered separate catalogs for Chevrolet, Dodge, Fargo and Ford light truck chassis. During the 1920s, Hercules Products expanded into the manufacture of all-metal dump bodies and trailers, and introduced a line of insulated route delivery bodies.

Although Hercules bodies could be ordered direct from the factory, most were sold through authorized distributors who stocked the firm s most popular bodies, crated and ready for assembly on the customer s chassis. Hercules even leased a factory showroom and warehouse in the heart of Manhattan s Automobile Row at 617-621 W. 57th St, New York NY during the 1920s.

A 1920 Hercules Body Co. catalog lists the following distributors:

Universal Motorcar, New Orleans, LA
Eastman & Russell, Dallas, TX
음. F. Habig & Son, Omaha, NE
Keystone State Motor & Auto Body Co. Philadelphia, PA
New England Commercial Body Co. Boston, MA
Charles Abresch & Co. Milwaukee, WI
Buffalo Commercial Body Co. Buffalo, NY
West Penn Body Co. Pittsburgh, PA
C.E. Hamlin Detroit, MI
Guy Cooper & Bro. Kansas City, MO
오.우. Dolph Los Angeles, CA
센티미터. Barrett Chicago, IL
W.A. Haviland, Minneapolis, MN
Fred Linde, San Francisco, CA
H.N. Knight Supply, Oklahoma City, OK
Central Agency Seattle, WA
Blaney Motor Co, Tacoma, WA
Beaudry Motor Co, Atlanta, GA
화장실. Vedder Charlotte, NC
Richey-Coen Co. Columbus, OH
Adamson Motor Co. Birmingham, AL
R.A. Chapman Denver, CO
McCreery-Phelan Memphis, TN
Makemer Motor Co. Peoria, IL
Altare-Smith Co. Salt Lake City, UT
City Storage & Mfg. Sioux Falls, IA.
H.T. Pecor Troy, NY.

Robert Campbell of Tarrytown, New York became a Hercules distributor in the late 20s, and within a few short years, would start manufacturing his own commercial bodies. During the next decade the Hercules-Campbell Body Co. established satellite sales branches in Cambridge, Massachusetts (at 130 Brookline St.) Portland, Maine Albany, New York Berlin, Connecticut N. Kearney, New Jersey and Jamaica, Long Island, NY.

Crated and disassembled (knocked-down) Hercules commercial bodies were shipped by rail from Evansville to Campbell s Tarrytown plant where they would be assembled and installed on waiting chassis. As Chevrolet had a final assembly plant located a few miles away in North Tarrytown (now called Sleepy Hollow), quite a few Hercules bodies ended up on the automakers chassis. Once varnished, Hercules station wagon bodies could not be knocked-down for shipping and were transported inside freight cars on special dollies.

In the early days of the Depression Campbell realized that he needed to find a less-expensive source of suburban station wagon bodies in order to compete against the budget-priced Ford Model A. Henry W. LeClear, the manager of Waterloo Bodies Inc. had been acquainted with Campbell for a number of years and let him know that he was looking for a job as his Waterloo, New York employer was closing its doors.

Campbell traveled to Waterloo to inspect the facility in January of 1932 accompanied by his Vice President, a Mr. Vincent. Waterloo offered them an abundant supply of cheap skilled labor as well as convenient access to the Lehigh Valley Railroad. The pair made an offer to the factory s owner, papers were signed and LeClear was hired to ready the plant for production. Mid-State Body Co. Inc. was soon shipping finished suburbans and knocked-down van bodies to Hercules-Campbell s busy Tarrytown assembly plant

As Hercules-Campbell was now a body manufacturer in their own right, their story continues on the Hercules-Campbell page.

Back in Evansville, Hercules was enjoying great success with their expanded line of commercial and light truck bodies. They built all of the production bodies for Chevrolet s truck-based Carryall from 1937 onwards and along with Moller and Cantrell, supplied International with wooden bodies for their D2 station wagons from 1937-1940.

1937-1939 Packard woodies were built by Cantrell, but during the 1940 model year, Hercules assumed the contract, consequently there are both Cantrell and Hercules-bodied 1940 Packard station wagons. A total of 358 Hercules bodies were supplied to Packard for their 1941 One-Ten (122" wheelbase) and One-Twenty (127" wheelbase) station wagons. Most featured ash frames and birch panels although a mahogany paneled version was available for extra cost. Both vehicles could carry eight passengers but the 8-cylinder One-Twenty offered more comfort with its extra 5 of rear seat legroom. A handful of bodies were also produced for Packard s 1940-1941 Model One-Sixty chassis but they were identical to the bodies produced for the Model One-Twenty.

Starting in 1939, Hercules started building production station wagon bodies for General Motors Chevrolet, Oldsmobile and Pontiac Divisions. As all three utilized the same 8-passenger bodywork, GM split the contract between Cantrell, Hercules and Ionia.

Hercules distinctive ash-framed mahogany paneling set them apart from the plainer birch-paneled Cantrell and Ionia products. Ionia s framing differed slightly from Hercules and Cantrell s as Ionia used three horizontal ribs per panel instead of two. All three wagons shared an Everflex-covered padded roof and a horizontally split tailgate, which included a single window on the top and a built-in folding tray on the bottom.

Buick became part of General Motors wagon program in 1940 and both Ionia and Hercules supplied them with wooden coachwork for their new Model 59 wagons that was identical to that found on Oldsmobile s new Series 70 wagon.

Hercules wagons remained popular through early 1942 when all production was halted in order to convert the Hercules factory over to war work.

Following the end of hostilities Ionia became General Motors main supplier of wooden station wagon bodies although Hercules supplied Oldsmobile and Buick with a few bodies in 1946-47.

Hercules survived the next decade by producing dry freight truck and trailers as well as insulated route delivery bodies which gained the firm a well-deserved reputation in the dairy business.

In 1957 the Indiana firm was purchased by George Caddick, who moved it to Henderson, Ky. Caddick reorganized it as the Hercules Manufacturing Co. and added refrigerated trailers to the firm popular line of milk trucks and dry freight bodies. Hercules continues to supply the transportation industry with Insulated Van Trailers, Insulated Van Bodies, Cold Plate Refrigeration Bodies, Insulated Slip-In Bodies, Dry Freight Van Bodies, FRP Van Bodies, Attic Bodies and other Specialized Bodies. The business, located at Outer 8th St & Hercules Dr in Henderson remains family owned and operated.


Links

Descendency and diaspora[edit]

It is through the marriage of Petheric McCurdy to Margaret Stewart that most McCurdy families in the Eastern and Southern United States can trace their roots as Petheric and Margaret's sons John, Daniel and James immigrated to Pennsylvania and South Carolina during the Colonial period. The names of McCurdy, McCready, McCurry, McQuady, McCurdie and other similar names are generally believed to have descended from the Mackirdy stock as research in many cases has proven. McCurdy


Robert H McCurdy SP-3157 - History

The term Scotch Irish is generally removed from both Scottish and Irish direct history, and involves the desire of American, Canadian and Australian protestants with ancestors embarked from Ireland to distinguish and distance themselves from the mostly later arriving catholics leaving that same country. Although the McCurdy ascendancy is clouded, the Stewart ascendancy gained through the McCurdy marriage in Ireland year 1667 yields an interesting and far reaching twist. This ascendancy takes us back to the first Stewart King, Robert II of Scotland in his [illicit] liason with Moira Leitch or Leith. Robert II's own ahnentafel involves the emmigration of a group of Irish to Scotland known to history as the Dalriadan Scots, and the earliest person in those portions of his line who can be considered reasonably certain is in the form of the leader Fergus Mor Of Dalriada who left Ireland for Alba [Scotland] in the sixth century. This tribal group, although then foreign to what we call Scotland today, is the source of the name for that country. They left their native Ireland in the mists of history and settled in a land they eventually conquered through warfare and made peaceful through royal marriage with the more native Picts in the mid 9th century. In this way, the group we call Scotch Irish would be better termed Irish Scotch Irish, and, if one takes the archeological study of the Celts into account as coming from the mainland east to settle Irish shores, could better yet be termed European Celtic Irish Scotch Irish. This is the beauty of geneology The garnering of a large frame of human reference in which to hold ourselves embodied: The ability to claim many historical aspects despite the existence of territories, warfare, and later borders seperating them but ultimately uniting us the ability to gain great human unity from regional historical fragments.

Our first McCurdy to reach America was James McCurdy, who, with his wife Polly Cooke [of whom no more is known] left in a boat meant for gateway to Pennsylvania but due to poor weather was forced to landing further south and on the river James. Still, this family managed to find their way to Salisbury township, Lancaster County, Pa in the 3rd decade of the 18th century and shortly after arrival. At the time of the McCurdy immigration, another direct ancestor James LOGAN was secretary and surveyor general for William Penn and James Logan was arguably the most powerful man in the 13 colonies, his employer long since returned to England. Our second generation McCurdy in America served in the American Revolution, and later settled on land squatted by the Scot-Irish in now southern Adams County, Pa in the region of the Marsh Creek Settlement called The Manor of Maske. one of many Penn Family Manors, some of which involved our forebears of several lines. Like all the Manors, this land involving Maske had been set aside by Penn's agents for the Penn family private use Specific to its history is the threat of bodily force against Penn surveyors by the Maske squatters, 70 of some strong of which went to meet the surveyors and deter them from their task. Struggles in the Penn Family Manors occured also at Springettsbury [now York and its environs, and relevant to our SPANGLER and allied lines] but the struggles involving the Manor of Maske, and Digge's choice [in what is now Littlestown and Hanover, Pa [similarly set aside for the use of Lord Digges by Maryland and relevant to our SWOPE and HOKE lines] , perhaps hold larger historical context as the history of Maske and Digges Choice have been cited by some as holding the pivotal action against, and absolute withdrawal of America from, the feudal concept of land ownership still practised in Europe of the time. The sqautters believed and were willing to sacrifice themselves succesfully to the concept that he or she who works the land should own it. Although not an original squatter but buying his land there from an original while the land involved in the Manor of Maske was still in some [albeit less anxious and more formalizing] dispute in the midst of the American Revolution, Robert McCurdy, James and Polly's son, like many of the Scotch Irish of the new world and owing to their antipathy towards the English crown, had early and willingly taken up arms against the English to fight for the concept of self governance and against any interference with personal will. He is our McCurdy patriot, and represents [with Daniel Troxell or Trachsel of Littlestown] the southernmost of our substantial Adams County Lines, in the region of now Adams County known as the Marsh Creek Settlements and to which many Scotch Irish were compelled. Robert McCurdy's precense in the county preceeded that of our direct Swopes of the region with whom his grandaughter would intermarry, and followed that of our BENDER direct Jacob who died near the town that bears his and his brother's name. At that time, the region we would come to call Bendersville was distant indeed , far to the north of Robert McCurdy, and it was settled mainly by Germans congealing in the tree the relationshipp of Germans and Scotch Irish in Colonial Pennsylvania often marked by dischord but often maintaining just a close geographical but great social distance. That Robert McCurdy's grandaughter married an American fully 100% German in asenddancy was unusual for the time, but can be seen as a time of change in immigrant attitude relevant to these two most vital ethnic forces in European Pennsylvania history.


역사

The Christian Recorder is the oldest existing periodical published by African-Americans in the United States whose existence dated before the Civil War. It had its genesis in The Christian Herald, which was established by the General Conference that was held in Philadelphia in 1848. Founded by Rev. Augustus R. Green in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, The Christian Herald was published weekly with subscribers paying one dollar and fifty cents a year.

의 이름 The Christian Herald was changed to The Christian Recorder at the Ninth Quadrennial Session of the General Conference held in 1852 in New York City. The first issue was published and disseminated on July 1, 1852. The first editor of The Christian Recorder was the Reverend M. M. Clark, who was one of the first college graduates in the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Clark was a graduate of Jefferson College and was considered to be one of the best-educated men in the A.M.E. Church. He wrote that the Recorder’s focus would be religion, morality, science and literature and it was to treat all geographical areas of the A.M.E. Church equally.

In 1864 John M. Brown was elected to succeed Elisha Weaver as editor but declined to serve due to his missionary duties in the wartime south. He was later elected and consecrated as the 11th bishop of the A.M.E. Church.

In its early days, The Christian Recorder focused on religious news, but much of the paper was devoted to secular news. Articles were written about education, voting rights, equality, and other secular issues that affected the lives of black Americans. The Christian Recorder was a forum to discuss slavery, classism, as well as racism. Articles were written by black women and about black women, and the paper also addressed issues related to families.

The Christian Recorder has been a faithful voice for the disenfranchised and the oppressed. It was a strong and vocal opponent of slavery and repeatedly addressed the biblical and moral issues of slavery while encouraging black consciousness. Following the Civil War, The Christian Recorder encouraged its readers to be diligent in protecting their families from whites who wanted to harm the newly freed slaves and regularly addressed the issue of families separated by the evils of slavery and published articles that tried to give information that would aid in the reuniting of family members. During Reconstruction, it advocated education for all citizens and was an activist for higher education and especially for an educated ministry. Throughout the 20th century, The Christian Recorder spoke against ills affecting persons of African descent globally ranging from colonialism to lynching.

NS Western 그리고 Southern Christian Recorder were established because the Church was growing and the constituents in the West and the South wanted more news about their regions. A woman, M. A. McCurdy, served as the editor of the Southern Christian Recorder. In 1886, Bishop Henry McNeil Turner founded the Southern Christian Recorder. Editors who served include Bradwell, R. M. Cheeks, G. E. Taylor, M. S. Bryant, G. W. Allen, J. H. Claybourne, E. C. Hatcher, and S. L. Jones. NS Western Christian Recorder came into existence at the General Conference in Columbus, Ohio in 1892. Dr. J. Frank McDonald was its first editor. Other editors include Dr. J. D. Barksdale and Dr. J. H. Wilson.

In 1952, the General Conference in Nashville, Tennessee joined the Southern Christian Recorder 그리고 Western Christian Recorder to create the Southwestern Christian Recorder. Also, publication of The Christian Recorder moved from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Nashville, Tennessee. In 1960, the General Conference in Los Angeles, California combined the Southwestern Christian Recorder 그리고 The Christian Recorder to form The AME Christian Recorder. In 1984, the official registration of the paper reverted to its current (and original) name, The Christian Recorder.

The Christian Recorder continues to serve the African Methodist Episcopal Church in local communities and around the world in 39 countries on five continents with a robust print and online presence.

Editors of The Christian Recorder

1. Molliston Madison Clark 1852-1854
2. Jabez Pitts Campbell (8th Bishop) 1854-1860
3. Elisha Weaver 1861-1864
4. *Anthony L. Stanford 1861
5. James Lynch 1866-1867
6. Elisha Weaver 1867-1868
7. Benjamin Tucker Tanner (18th Bishop) 1868-1884
8. Benjamin Franklin Lee (20th Bishop) 1884-1892
9. Henry Theodore Johnson 1892-1909
10. Richard Robert Wright, Jr. (57th Bishop) 1909-1936
11. George Arnett Singleton 1936-1944
12. David Norris 1944-1950
13. Fred Hughes 1950-1960
14. Benjamin Julius Nolen, Sr. 1960-1964
15. Lawrence Sylvester Odom, Sr. 1964-1966
16. Benjamin Julius Nolen, Sr. 1966-1973
17. A. Lewis Williams 1973-1976
18. Robert H. Reid, Jr. 1976-1996
19. Ricky Spain 1996-2004
20. Calvin H. Sydnor, III 2004- 2016
21. John Thomas III, 2016-present

* Anthony L. Stanford served several months during Elisha Weaver’s tenure.

Selected Books about The Christian Recorder

아카이브 연구

Institutions with repositories of The Christian Recorder 포함하다:


The David Donahue Memorial Tennessee Records Repository hosted on Tennessee GenWeb offers selected genealogical abstracts and transcriptions from the Western Methodist (1833–1834), the Southwestern Christian Advocate (1838–1846), and the Nashville Christian Advocate (1847–1919, plus 1929) denominational newspapers.

A free, searchable digital edition of this classic Methodist Episcopal history by Abel Stevens, covering four volumes in six books. From the Wesley Center Online.


비디오 보기: 프린스턴리뷰 정기총회에서 가져온 고급 정보 (칠월 2022).


코멘트:

  1. Shakale

    Excuse me for what I intervene… At me a similar situation. 우리는 검사 할 수 있습니다.

  2. Dunleah

    이것은 매우 귀중한 동전입니다

  3. List

    나는 지금 토론에 참여할 수 없다 - 나는 매우 바쁘다. 나는 석방 될 것이다 - 나는이 문제에 대한 나의 의견을 분명히 표현할 것이다.



메시지 쓰기